Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm just not sure if my dog ate any tomcat rat poison, I'm

Customer Question

I'm just not sure if my dog ate any tomcat rat poison, I'm staying at a friends and there was some in the yard in a container but the top was broken an she may of been able to digest some
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Sophie. Do you have any idea the type of poison in the container? Does it have a brand name on the container? Did this happen recently?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

The Tomcat product contains bromethalin - a rodenticide that cause muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures within hours after exposure. The bromethalin is present at 2.84 mg/ounce in that product and any major ingestion approaching 0.5 mg/kg should trigger decontamination by emesis and the administration of activated charcoal. For example, if Sophie weighed 10 kg (22 lbs) she would need to ingest 5 mg of the bromethalin to be worrisome which is present in 1.76 ounces of that product.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.