Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our female boxer is doing a lot of just standing and

Customer Question

Hi Rebecca, our female boxer is doing a lot of just standing and staring. She won't eat. When she does move it is very slowly. She is panting so we know she is in pain. I gave her a bully stick yesterday, she ate the whole thing, which is not unusual. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry but Rebecca is not available but I would like to help.

Most likely your gal has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in boxers because of their conformation. Since your gal does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain which you are seeing because of the panting and moving slowly. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can get her to eat or force feed her some liquified canned dog food, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. She will not want to eat now because of the pain. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your gal to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****