Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

After she's been sleeping a bit or just after she comes

Customer Question

Customer: After she's been sleeping a bit or just after she comes inside, she coughing as though she's trying to get something up. She is four yrs old and has been checked by a vet in July. It seems that this has been happening since November. ***** ***** Scholtes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just let her out this morning and when she came back in and climbed on my bed she started hacking again. Not much. She still is playful and loving. It doesn't seem to bother her all that much but it worrisome for me because I had a dog with a heart murmur.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

If these are the only times that she coughs, simple post-nasal drip and subsequent oropharyngeal (back of her throat) inflammation secondary to allergy or perhaps early tracheal collapse or sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) should be suspected. More serious cardiopulmonary disorders should cause symptoms throughout a 24 hour period. In any event, I'd be more comfortable if I directly visualized your dog's oropharynx (back of her throat) and X-rayed her heart and lungs. Which breed is she, please? Is her cough productive or non-productive?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is part beagle and part dachshund and it seems to be non-productive

Thank you for the additional information. Neither of those breeds would predispose to tracheal collapse nor a sterile bronchitis. I don't believe that there's an urgency to pursue her cough/gag but exacerbation of that symptom should prompt the diagnostics I mentioned. Are there any other symptoms that might indicate allergy - a pruritic (itchy) dog, sneezing, conjunctivitis, e.g?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?