Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

It appears that our Standard Poodle may have eaten a mouse

Customer Question

It appears that our Standard Poodle may have eaten a mouse that had eaten mouse poison. What are the effects of this - a dog eating a mouse that had eaten mouse poison? Our dog weighs 65 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat the mouse?

Can you see if he opened the abdomen or if the stomach is still present in what he left?

Any breathing changes or paling of his gums?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The stomach is gone. The mouse or what was left of it was dried up so we don't know when he may have eaten it but it was in the middle of our living room on the rug. So it appeared in the night. No apparent breathing difficulty. What are any of the possible symptoms.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please cancel this and remove my credit card - I don't mind paying the $5 but it takes too long to get an answer so do NOT charge me the additional $23 or so. I do not want to continue with this.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the reason I was asking about a time frame is because we could induce vomiting if this ingestion may have happened <2 hours ago. Anyway, in regards ***** ***** question, rat bait can be a subtle and very dangerous poison for dogs. This is because it works by blocking production of blood clotting factors. This prevents the animal exposed from clotting their own blood. And I must note that its effects are not instant. Instead, we can see the signs take days to weeks to appear (since he has to run out of those clotting factors already circulating). When they do, we can see pinpoint hemorrhages on the skin and gums. Dogs can also have paling of their gums as they bleed internally and we can see belly distension or coughing/breathing issues depending on here starts bleeding. As well, we can see blood in vomit and feces of poisoned dogs. And if this was a pigmented (ie green,blue) poison, you can sometimes see those in the stool as well.

So, those would all be signs we'd be looking out for. And while the dose he would have gotten from a mouse stomach is small, I would suggest contacting his vet or the local ER to have them dispense Vitamin K (+/- start him with an injection of this) to help keep him clotting and not hve any issue here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was not satisfactory at all. I had already gotten some information about this and what I was given was no better than what I could find out for myself. I would never recommend this and would not waste my money again either.