Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is having a seizure, she has had 3 every 2 weeks

Customer Question

My dog is having a seizure, she has had 3 every 2 weeks starting on Thanksgiving. Not in the same area. (We were at my sister's house the first time so it's most likely not toxic).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that Caramel is having seizures. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Since she is 10 years old, this is probably not epilepsy. Dogs are born with epilepsy and start having seizures when they are young. Seizures in older dogs are caused by low blood sugar, low thyroid function, liver disease, and (unfortunately) brain tumors.

I usually start with basic blood tests to check for things that can be treated such as low blood sugar and hypothyroidism. If nothing like that is found, then we start anti seizure medication if the seizures are happening once a month or more (which it sounds like is happening with her).

I would start with a good physical exam and blood tests at your veterinarian. Let me know what other questions you have about Caramel and seizures in dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was catatonic from 10 p.m. until 3 a.m. then she finally came around I don't think she's going to make another seizure last another seizure the emergency vet service said most likely a tumor and since she's 10 years old it's a brain tumor and there's not much they can do
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

There is treatment for brain tumors, radiation therapy, but it is expensive. Before saying it is a tumor, I would do some basic blood tests just to be sure it is not something more easily treated. If the tests are all normal, then a tumor is likely although you have to do MRI to be sure.

I am sorry you are so worried. Even if it is a tumor, starting seizure medication may help for awhile.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Caramel. How is everything going?