Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog has been at the vet at least 10 times in the last

Customer Question

Our dog has been at the vet at least 10 times in the last three months. He has had several medical issues. Currently he is bleeding from nose and mouth. Vet thinks it may be cancer. Do we put him down or should we just make him comfortable. He doesn't seem to be in pain but he is weaker by day, won't each much .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear about Edy's situation. Based on what you have noted, it does sound like we have a bleeding lesion that cannot be easily managed for him. If there is no way for his vet to tie off any bleeding vessels, debulk any visible mass, or even cauterize what is bleeding; then we will need to either consider referral to a specialist surgeon to see if they can remove this or consider palliative care for Edy.

This means we need to focus on keeping him comfortable. Hopefully, he is already on pain relief but if he isn't then that would be ideal. Otherwise, we need to look at him and ask ourselves if he is enjoying life. If he is eating, interacting with you, and doing everything that has made his life worth living, then we can let him continue for as long as that is the case. But if he is weak, unable to do those things, then we would need to consider letting him go before he gets to a point where he cannot eat at all and is miserable.

Overall, if he is wasting away and giving up, then it may be his time. But if he is still doing those things that make a doggy life worth living, then you could consider a referral to a specialist or palliation to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Edy. How is everything going?
nekovet