How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1295
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Corgi. (30 lbs) just got into some chocolate. Do not think

Customer Question

Corgi. (30 lbs) just got into some chocolate. Do not think it was much, but no real idea. Shows no symptoms. Should we try to get her to vomit, and how do we go about it?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Hello,

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Abby and the chocolate.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

In order to better help you, I will need some additional information.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
  • What kind of chocolate did she get into?
  • What is your best approximation of how much chocolate she ate?
  • How long ago did it happen?
  • How is she acting now?
  • Is Abby otherwise a healthy dog?
  • Does she take any medications?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Give me a moment and I will type some information for you..

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

So whether or not the chocolate will have negative effects on your dog depends on the size of your dog, the type of chocolate (milk vs. dark vs. baking) and the amount they ate.

If you do end up figuring out about how much was eaten, you can plug the amount, type, and size of your dog into this calculator to see if it is enough to cause concern: http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

If this has happened in the last few hours and you want to play it safe, you can induce vomiting in your dog with 3% hydrogen peroxide. This is the kind of peroxide used to clean wounds that you get at the drug store. A freshly opened bottle is most efffective. We normally give between 0.5 and 1ml per pound of body weight up to a total of 45 ml of peroxide. DO NOT GIVE MORE THAN 45 ml of peroxide, even if your dog is larger than 45 pounds. You can give the peroxide after giving a small meal and then take your dog outside and walk him around in circles to try to get him to vomit. If no vomiting occurs, you can give peroxide again in 10 minutes, but only ONE MORE TIME.

If your dog ate the chocolate more than 3 or 4 hours ago, inducing vomiting is likely not worth the trouble, and your dog needs to be observed closely for

  • Nervousness/restlessness
  • Twitching
  • Panting
  • Seizures in severe cases
  • Just ingesting chocolate, which most dogs don’t typically eat every day, can cause an upset stomach. In these cases, you can see:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lack of appetite

Here is an article on chocolate in dogs: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3544

If these signs occur you will need to seek veterinary care.