Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has something wrong. He tries to get up and he Crys

Customer Question

My dog has something wrong. He tries to get up and he Crys . He walks like he might be constipated or as if his balls hurt or something. Can you help me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I am so very sorry to hear about your Chico. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. The crying when he gets up, walking stiff legged both indicate this is my primary differential for him Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow. You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it. Please no tylenol which can be toxic to the liver and should be avoided in dogs and cats. Until you are able to get him seen the above is the best method. Anything you give orally for pain will interfere with what your veterinarian can dispense for him and these are going to be the more effect methods of pain control for him. To pick your dog up to place in the car please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort. To assist up/ down steps until you are able to get him in please use a towel under the groin as a sling to support him and limit possible further injury Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your Chico comfortable soon, truly. I am online another 20 minutes this evening to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Chico doing? I would love an update when you are ablePlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!