Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 8 year old boxer/Boston terrier mix has not eaten

Customer Question

My 8 year old boxer/Boston terrier mix has not eaten anything of significance the past
4 days. He is subsisting on water only and has lost at least 10-13 lbs. the past two weeks.
I had him on prescription meds(unknown name)but given for "high" bacterial count in
digestive system and given four(4)antibiotic tablets to "counter attack" his condition and
was to give one and half tablet(1 1/2)subsequently daily. I reside in Pueblo, Co. and here
in Star, Id. for the holidays. He has not eaten and this am, vomiting "liquid y, brown
colored" matter. He does not have solid bowel, just fluids and with audible, gaseous
excrement. Any food suggestions would help but here is what he rejects: tuna, baby
food, any soft canned foods, dry dog foods(Beneful), he initially sniffs at offerings and
just turns his head away, commercial beef jerky, about an ounce was eaten by him
this am about two(2)hours ago. He has not rejected that intake so far. I will take
him to an available veterinarian tomorrow(Saturday)so meanwhile any suggestions
will be appreciated.
Stan Nakama
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite and gi upset.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one he prefers, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible that you listed such as beef jerky or tuna
- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and get his appetite increased. Tomorrow the vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to get him eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope he starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am signing off for the night in just a few moments...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I am curious if you were able to get Hampton comfortable last week and eating? I would love an update when you are able...
​If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!