Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My almost 2 year old golden retriever has been lethargic and

Customer Question

My almost 2 year old golden retriever has been lethargic and panting heavily for about the last 24 hours. We noticed a cut behind her ear a couple days ago - thought it was a mat. Could it be an infection? And if so, can it wait until tomorrow? Not sure what may be open on Christmas day but obviously don't want her to become more ill.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

At this point I would suspect that an infection is likely. If the infection behind the ear is starting to get infected it can cause a raise in body temperature that will decrease her energy level and she'll be acting slightly "off." As long as she's eating and drinking without vomiting she can wait until tomorrow. If she stops drinking, starts vomiting, or starts acting more and more lethargic throughout the day then that is concerning and I'd no longer wait and would encourage you to see her vet today. Most likely she'll spend the day panting, and off and as long as she's not worsening then waiting until tomorrow will likely be appropriate. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan