Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our dog was given a nylabone (large). I thought he would

Customer Question

Our dog was given a nylabone (large). I thought he would just chew it like a bone. He was chewing and all of a sudden I realized that he had eaten the whole thing. Is there anything that I can do to help him get rid of it without hurting him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Hopefully Jake had chewed much of this bone but to be sure, give him 2 tablespoons of Vegetable oil every 6 hrs. This will help he remaining pieces of the bone to slide through his digestive tract. There is a chance that it may be too large to make it through and cause an obstruction. The only thing you can do is watch for any signs including vomiting and lethargy. If you see any of these signs, you will have to seek veterinary attention. In most cases, however, Jakes system will dissolve much of this with stomach acid and the oil will help this slide through.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****