Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 6 y.o. golden retriever (106 lbs.) just ate 1/2 oatmeal

Customer Question

My 6 y.o. golden retriever (106 lbs.) just ate 1/2 oatmeal raisin (maybe about 3-4 raisins) cookie. I know raisins are really bad. So scared.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jacqueline,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jacqueline

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Please don't give this a second thought, Joe is going to be just fine, there is nothing special you need do for him.

2. I say this because although raisins are in fact a significant toxin to dogs the lowest documented toxic raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight. Your dog weighs 48 kg { 106 pounds } so you would only be worried if he ate 4.8 oz or more of raisins and so there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce. So a toxic dose for him would be in the region of 120 raisins or more. So hey 4 is not going to affect him much !

Most dogs that suffer raisin related problems have eaten much larger amounts of them. You can confirm the above and read more on the topic via this LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jacqueline,

I am just checking back in to see how Joe is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the raisins incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Jacqueline,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Joe. How is everything going?