Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is limping, favoring s back left leg. There's no

Customer Question

My dog is limping, favoring his back left leg. There's no injury... I'm thinking it could be hip dysplasia or maybe arthritis, he is 5. I've read one medication called gabapentin can be given to dogs for pain and I have some of those but they're 600mg. I do have a pill cutter so I can cut them but what would be the safest dose for him until I can get him to the vet? He weighs approx 70lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, if you are suspicious of arthritis, then Gabapentin would not be an ideal choice here. Gabapentin in dogs is better for nerve pain then orthopaedic pain. Therefore, it'd be ideal to speak to his vet about a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox. Otherwise, just to note, we'd tend to give Gabapentin at a dose of 105mg every 12 hours for dogs this size.

Otherwise, since we have a hip dysplasia/arthritis concern, I would note that we often find other supportive treatments of benefit with these dogs. To start, glucosamine/chondroitin can be helpful for dogs in these situations. This is am OTC nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad to help ease his signs.

All the best and happy holidays ,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so very much for helping me. I do intend on getting him to the vet this week, with the holidays I wasn't able to. That's when he showed signs of more pain so I wanted something temporary to help him. Thank you again and I hope if I have any other questions it'll be you that responds! I Hope you had a wonderful Christmas or happy which ever holiday you celebrate! Have a safe & happy new year!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I know that the holidays do make these situations complicated. So, I am glad that I could be of help with your lad.

And if you do need any future help or have any more questions, you can always request me by just starting your question with "For Dr. B/nekovet" and I will answer as soon as I am online. :)

Take care and all the best to you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jolan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jolan Mohacsi. How is everything going?
nekovet