Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

You recently helped me with a question concerning my boxer

Customer Question

You recently helped me with a question concerning my boxer puppy. She was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia and spent the last 2 nights in an oxygen cage and receiving iv's and meds. She came home this afternoon and has not had a bowel movement all day. I am concerned as she normally goes after every meal. She has been in her crate most of the day as she gets very excited and playful when around our other dog. Is this normal or should we be concerned? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Layla. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she was not eating well when she was hospitalized, she might not have any stool in her colon yet. I am not worried that she is constipated just because she did not have a bowel movement all day. If she is eating, she will eventually have a bowel movement. A dog that is constipated will strain and push, trying to pass the stool. Often they do not eat, and sometimes vomit. If she continues to eat, she should have a bowel movement soon.

Let me know how she is doing, and if I can help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Layla doing? I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know how she is, and if I can help with or answer anything else.