Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a small mixed breed dog who was fine yesterday but

Customer Question

Customer: I have a small mixed breed dog who was fine yesterday but today isn't feeling well. I checked him and there is evidence (staining) of blood around his rectum. He at just fine but isn't very energetic.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a bit quivery and just wants to sit on my lap. I used a baby wipe to clean him up. Mind you, there's no droplets or stream of blood but his tail and the fur in the immediate area seems to have a clear discharge with a pinkish stain. He's part chihuahua and JRT. i am pretty vigilant about his food so I don't think he got into anything that would harm him.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding to you.

I am so sorry your dog isn't feeling well. The staining of blood around the hind end can indicate several problems. It could be coming from his digestive tract (diarrhea with blood or even straight blood) or is could be coming from his anal sacs. If he truly is straining to defecate and producing only small amounts of liquid stool or he is also having any vomiting or no appetite, then I worry this is truly coming from the digestive tract and we should consider this a medical emergency. That makes me worry he may have hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which can rapidly become life-threatening due to fluid and blood loss but is easily treated by hospitalization for 24-48 hours with IV fluid therapy and support.

Alternatively, if his stools look normal, and he is eating/drinking but just has that staining then this could be he has anal sac infection. This is quite painful and may make him very grumpy about touching his hind end and could also lead to straining to defeat. It needs to be seen by your veterinarian but could potentially wait until they are open tomorrow.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have kept the area clean, used a triple antibacterial ointment and he seems to be 100% improved. He was his normal feisty self yesterday. He has continued to eat and do his potties normally through it all. I will continue to monitor him and do regular checks on his anal glands. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. It’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.