David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My 18 month old German Shepard mix, 45lbs, is being treated

Customer Question

Hi, my 18 month old German Shepard mix, 45lbs, is being treated for a lesion on her face. She was prescribed Cefpodoxime/Simplicef 200 mg, 1 tab PM for 10 days. The first two days she was given the correct dosage. However, I just realized yesterday and today she got a tab in the AM as well as PM - basically 2 extra doses, for a total of 6 tabs in 4 days. I plan to give her the next dose tomorrow evening only, and for 3 evenings afterwards, which is the correct schedule. Should I be concerned about the overdose? Is there anything I should be concerned about moving forward? She already had diarrhea the first day of meds, so that isn't an issue, although I think I'll start her on a probiotic. Thank you for your time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

These extra doses of Simplicef should not cause a problem for Whiskey. The most common side effects, if anything, would be vomiting, diarrhea, or lack of appetite.

At this point, going back to the prescribed once a day dosing would be recommended, along with a probiotic, like you mentioned. If you do happen to see any abnormal symptoms, I would recommend contacting your veterinarian. Otherwise, she should likely be just fine.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist you and Whiskey further.

Dr. Dave