Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini schnauzer was kept 2 days from vomiting. She was

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer was kept 2 days for rehydration from vomiting. She was very drooly, lathargic and won't eat or drink. After testing and watching for 2 days no diagnosis was found. I brought her home Monday. She's still not well! I have to syringe water into her and she wont eat! Idk what to do!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your mini Schnauzer today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What tests did they run on her? Was she having diarrhea as well?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They did blood work, all levels were with in normal range, xray of tummy and pancreatitis test. I'm unsure of any other tests. They gave antibiotics, IV fluids, vitamin K shot in case she ate rat poison(we no of none) medicine for nausea and vomiting.. no diarrhea.. She had a bm yesterday and a little today. She's still uninterested in food.. She will sometimes drink on her own..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She so lazy.. no energy

Okay thanks for the additional information. It sounds like they did a complete work up on her. Did she eat anything unusual that you know of? Usually in these cases where the bloodwork and x-rays don't show anything obvious. Further testing to consider is a barium study. This involves using a special contrast that highlights the intestines on the x-rays. This can help pick up any foreign bodies that the plain x-ray may not be able to pick up. Also another option to consider is a possible surgical exploratory to see if anything is unusual with the organs. This is only in extreme case since it involves surgery

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She pigged out on kitty food. We got a new cat and our dog just kept eating up any leftover food. The vet released her feeling like this was just extreme GI upset.. with the holiday, I just feel lost on what to do.. She resting.. I just don't know what more to do..

Has she ever eaten cat food prior to this? With her being weak and having no energy I would recommend her seeing an emergency veterinarian. Preferably a clinic that has access to board certified specialist like a veterinary school or a Blue Pearl facility. These facilities usually can do additional diagnostics that your veterinarian may not be able to do therefore possible coming up with an cause for her symptoms. If she is not vomiting then you can attempt to give her chicken baby food just to make sure she gets some type of nutrition.