How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4995
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate and vet is not in. What can I do?

Customer Question

My dog ate chocolate and vet is not in. What can I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Alex but I have a few additional questions to ask first about him, if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did he eat the chocolate?

2. What kind of chocolate was it? Dark, milk, white, etc?

3. How much did he eat? Ounces if you can determine this amount.

4. How much does he weigh?

I'll respond back as soon as I can with an answer for you. Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alex ate about 12oz. of choclate cake about 20 minutes ago. He weighs 60# ***** it was dark chocolate.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did you get my answer?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Give me just a minute to type up a response to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Since the chocolate was in cake form, he probably didn't eat an entire 12 ounces of dark chocolate although if he did, this could be quite serious. Dark chocolate has a higher risk for toxicity as opposed to other chocolates (milk for example) and this is a fairly large amount for a dog this size.

If he only ingested about 12 ounces of cake, then the risk is not likely to be high. I would only expect diarrhea or possibly hyperactivity which might be seen in a few hours.

But, under the circumstances, since it's only been 20 minutes since he ate the cake, it would be best to induce vomiting if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide. The dose would be 2 tablespoons mixed with bread, then walk him around and repeat the dose if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

I'll stand by for a progress report. Deb