Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 65-70 lb 2 year old Labrador just are 4 pieces of orbital

Customer Question

My 65-70 lb 2 year old Labrador just are 4 pieces of orbital peppermint gum and I don't know what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know what to do and wyickly

I will have an answer for you very shortly, stand by ...

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The danger is that such gums contain Xylitol { Check this on the packaging } This sugar substitute can be very toxic to dogs.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Some further information ...

1. Hopefully you will make your dog sick and recovered as much of the gum as possible, this is the single most useful thing you can do in this sort of situation.

2. Xylitol causes a drop in blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } { like an overdose of insulin} in dogs that can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. So if you fail to recover all of the gum via vomiting you should contact an emergency vet for further treatment if that is possible. Quick action is important here as poisonings related to Xylitol in gum are well documented , better safe than sorry.

3. However if local veterinary help is not available you should do what you can to keep your dog's blood sugar levels up this would involve feeding the dog frequent regular carbohydrate rich meals over the next 12 hour period.

4. Emergency Treatment of Hypoglycaemia : Immediate oral administration of glucose solution or honey (1 g per kg body weight). Animals that are collapsed should not have large volumes of fluid forced into their mouths as this may result in aspiration pneumonia. Here it is preferable to rub a small amount of the glucose solution or honey onto the animal’s gums or under its tongue.

5. Veterinary treatment may include hospitalization and intravenous fluids with dextrose supplementation. Some pets can remain symptomatic and may maintain a low blood sugar for several hours.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Just checking back in to see how things are going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the orbit gum ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Cydney Sinks,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?