Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy is losing a bit of hair around s eyes and looks

Customer Question

Hello, my puppy is losing a bit of hair around his eyes and looks like one is red and has yellow flakes on it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  William Withers replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is***** and I'm a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years of experience with dogs and cats. I'll do my best to help you with some information to help Gibbs today.

The first thing to think about with these kind of signs in a pit bull mix is Demodectic mange. It is a microscopic parasite which can be diagnosed and treated by your veterinarian with a variety of medications. It is present in all dogs but will overgrow in some dogs and cause hair loss and redness and flakes, typically around the eyes or ears but can occur on any part of the body. It is not contagious to people or particularly contagious to other dogs since as I mentioned, all dogs have a small population of these mites in their skin but it is usually kept to a minimum level in most dogs.

Other possibilities include bacterial or yeast infections and ringworm, which is a type of fungal infection. Is Gibbs itchy from the problem? Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply! Here is an image attached of his face :) poor thing :(.Is there a way I can get the medicine without a visit to a vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Better pic

That picture is certainly a typical presentation for mange. I'm sure you'll understand, but I'm not allowed by the licensing board in my state to give specific advice on medications without examining the pet. I would also not want to recommend the wrong medication in case it turned out to be a different disease with the same "look". Many skin diseases can look alike.

I can tell you that most pets with a healthy immune system can fight off demodectic mange on their own with time, as long as they are comfortable and not scratching and making the area more irritated. If he is comfortable and it isn't getting worse, it is probably ok to wait a little while to see if it improves on its own.

It is also always safe to provide vitamin supplements to help make sure his immune system and skin are healthy. A daily multivitamin can help, as well as a skin supplement containing vitamin E and essential fatty acids such as fish oils.