How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4991
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My two dogs ate 16 oz of peppermint bark (dark chocolate).

Customer Question

My two dogs ate 16 oz of peppermint bark (dark chocolate). Ruby weighs 60lbs and Dean weighs 80 lbs. The smaller of the two has coughed up some chocolate-y phlegm and has been drinking lots of water but is otherwise acting normal. Do I need to call the vet?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours has it been since they ate the chocolate?