Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My five month old female Boston Terrier has started eating

Customer Question

My five month old female Boston Terrier has started eating the feces of my ten year old neutered male chihuahua! I am feeding her a "targeted nutrition" puppy dry food. How can I manage this problem?.......Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. The truth is that this behavior is called copraphagia in dogs and it is very common and actually not un-natural...it is just very undesirable.

So here are some tips that will help though the only sure fire way to prevent it is to clean up your other dog's feces before you puppy can get to it. Many dogs will do this behavior if given the opportunity.

1. Clean up your other dogs feces

2. Keep your puppy on a leash at all times

3. Mix forbid (feces deterrent) with your older dogs food and it will give the feces a bad taste to the dogs ( you can purchase this on many pet retailer websites. I know entirelypets.com has it)

I hope this helps you but please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I check my computer each night.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Can I assist you further? Sincerely, DRB