Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hoping you can help. My 3 month old golden doodle (female)

Customer Question

Hi hoping you can help. My 3 month old golden doodle (female) got ahold of a 5mg diazepam. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl ingested 5mgs of diazepam accidentally. I have some questions for you.

How much does she weigh?

Is she taking any other medications currently?

Is she healthy in general?

How long ago did this occur?

How is she behaving now?

We do use diazepam in dogs, but I want to make sure that she didn't take too high of a dose or have other health problems that would make it dangerous for her to have taken this drug.

The typical dose for dogs is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound of body weight every six hours as needed.

So if she took 5mgs and weighs at least 5 pounds this would be an appropriate dose and as long as she is otherwise healthy this really should not be a problem.

Diazepam can cause side effects of sedation, disorientation, incoordination, and weakness. In some dogs however, diazepam can cause a paradoxical reaction of excitement instead.

I would recommend you keep her confined and quiet and she should return to normal over the next 12-24 hours. Keep her away from stairs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.