Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 11 week old shihituz is yelping like she is in pain BUT

Customer Question

My 11 week old shihituz is yelping like she is in pain BUT it is very random I've checked her head to toe a.million times since it started yesterday afternoon and get no pain respond. She is alert active eating and drinking. It happens when she lays down to sleep. But she's not asleep (no dreaming) Her regarding vet is closed until the 27th. The only thing I saw was she sneezed about 8 times before this all started. Could it be a pulled muscle or puppy or an ear infection growing pains? She's so small I worry I might miss something
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your sweet girl has pulled a muscle or injured an area in her back from the stress of the sneezing. In these case, they will not show pain anywhere that you are trying to feel because it is so deep within the musculature but in certain situations, she will feel this pain. If she were a bit older, I would have recommended aspirin but since she is so tiny and young, try to keep her immobile as possible so this area can heal on its own. Benadryl can be given at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to help keep her drowsy so she does not injure this area even more. If this continues, have your vet examine her and they can prescribe a safe anti inflammatory medication to help her past this. It is a very good sign that she is active and eating so you know that this is not an emergency and can wait until your vet can see her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you this was what I thought to but nervous mom needed back up!

You are very welcome...I certainly understand being a nervous Mom....they are so fragile at this age.

Have a wonderful Holiday!