Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We are on vacation and our dog isn't well. She is a standard

Customer Question

We are on vacation and our dog isn't well. She is a standard poodle. She is vomiting. She is still drinking but not eating. This started yesterday. She is moving around some but not her usual excited self.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 2.5 years old. She did eat some bacon treats yesterday but little else. She drank water this morning but isn't eating. She weight around 59 lbs. she is not on any meds.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She vomited around 8 pm. She hadn't eaten all day and vomit was yellow and slimy.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is likely that she is vomiting as a result of the bacon treats. Other possible causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Her lack of appetite is a consequence of not feeling well. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit or not willing to eat after doing the above she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter