Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****, and I gave my dog a pork bone last

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****, and I gave my dog a pork bone last night, now she's vomiting and had blood in it. What should I do ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else do you need to know ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The signs of gastrointestinal obstruction or perforation are indistinguishable from each other. Both will cause persistent vomiting and/or anorexia and when either is seen, X-rays of the gastrointestinal tract are essential in order to better evaluate the health of the GI tract and the likelihood of bony fragments being able to pass. Because you're now seeing hematemesis (blood in the vomitus) it's important that your dog be attended to by an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. This is a danger sign for life-threatening injury to the GI tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.