Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Welsh terrier 11 two lumps on back just above nd legs what

Customer Question

Welsh terrier 11 two lumps on back just above hind legs what could it be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Buddy has these lumps. Can you please tell me if they are on opposite sides and even to each other?

Very likely if they are even on both sides they are varying muscle bellies that are hypertrophied or exacerbated on each side of Buddy. If they were both on the same leg or not evenly distributed then there is a concern that they can potentially be anything from a fatty tumor (lipoma) to a well defined mass and that would require fine needle aspirate to differentiate or a needle poke into the mass and evaluation under the microscope.

This is the best way to say these are nothing to be worried about but if they are equal to each other on each leg, not growing and not bothering Buddy they are likely normal variation of muscle mass

I hope this makes sense and will await any further information. I am online another 15 minutes this evening to assist you further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On his back each side of spine some times he hesitates to jump up but eats well still playful does this change answer at all ?

Ah the lumbar muscles can hypertrophy and appear to be masses on some dogs. Especially when clipped down. I suspect this to be the case with your dog if they are evenly distributed

Hesitating to jump at this age tends to be due to discomfort but can also be from muscle atrophy / weakness of the rear legs...

They compensate for slight muscle loss on their rear ends by building their back muscles so they are more pronounced

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anything I can do to help him

I would consider meeting with a pain management or physical therapy specialist in your area to guide a regimen to give you strengthening exercises for him. They can be very specific for his needs.

For example, if he is having rear limb muscle wasting depending on the muscle groups affected they may recommend sit to stand exercises, incline walks, or rear legs standing on a "poofy" pillow so he has to shift his weight back and forth. These are just examples that may help

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or should do?

Yes, I find most dogs can benefit from these specific exercises depending on needs. I use one regularly for my dogs that range in age from 4 years to 8 years and as they age she changes her approach to exercises to gain and maintain muscling

Here is a link to canine rehab facilities in the US to find one locally to you

http://www.caninerehabinstitute.com/Find_A_Therapist.html

They can help guide whether he is in discomfort or simply assist in giving you exercises to strengthen his rear end so he can be back to jumping as he had previously

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome, can I assist with any additional questions this evening?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am going to be signing off for the night but want to make sure there are no additional questions before I go?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! Happy Holidays!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Ted,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman

Good afternoon, I am curious if there were any changes to the lumps you had noted on Buddy when we spoke? I would love an update!

If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!