Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just possibly ate 1mg resperidol and 200mg lamictal

Customer Question

Hi. My dog just possibly ate 1mg resperidol and 200mg lamictal
Help!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you are able to give me his weight I can calculate the level of concern with this ingestion in the meanwhile...

For the resperidol as long as he is over 25 pounds he should be just fine but clinical signs of toxicity may include

For your information as for what to watch for, signs of toxicity may include:
- Weakness
- Ataxia
- Agitation
- Tremors
- Possibly seizures

Unfortunately neither of these medications are used in veterinary medicine ...Lamotrigine appears to have a narrow margin of safety in companion and laboratory animals.

One article lists:

Clinical signs of toxicosis most commonly occur within four hours after exposure, though they are sometimes delayed up to 12 hours with the extended-release products.6 Clinical signs typically last 24 to 48 hours. Signs in dogs, such as lethargy and somnolence, have been observed at exposure doses as low as 3.4 mg/kg. Cardiac signs such as tachycardia are generally not seen until the exposure dose is more than 20 mg/kg. Life-threatening cardiovascular signs such as arrhythmias and seizures are generally seen in dogs exposed to more than 40 mg/kg of lamotrigine.6

I am so sorry if you are having issues with the chat, especially with timing being of essence

If you are unable to induce vomiting with the concern of the lamotrigine then I would advise a veterinary er to give medication stronger to induce vomiting but also activated charcoal orally to reduce absorption of the medication therefore reduce risk of clinical signs above

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I wanted to check in on you and your dog to see if you were able to induce vomiting or how he is doing? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! Happy Holidays!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Linda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Linda Knapp. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman

Good afternoon, I am curious if you were able to induce vomiting or how your dog did after you asked your question? I would love an update!

​If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!