Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 110 lbs lab and great dane mix would it be safe to

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I have a 110 lbs lab and great dane mix would it be safe to give him phenytoin 200 mg extended tablets for his seizures?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog is having seizures three hours around the clock. I was wondering if I can give him phenytoin 200mg extended tablets.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Phenytoin is an ineffective anticonvulsive drug with an undesirable pharmacokinetic profile in dogs and is rarely considered for long-term treatment of epilepsy in this species. If your dog is seizing that often, he is considered to be clustering (more than one seizure within a 24 hour period) and may, indeed, be in status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate without his being heavily sedated or anesthetized. IV phenobarbital should be considered at this time and once he's controlled either oral phenobarbital, levetiracetam, zonisamide or some combination of these drugs should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.