How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19651
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you in advance. My 6 year old female cocker spaniel

Customer Question

Hi, and thank you in advance. My 6 year old female cocker spaniel that weights approximately 22 lbs, at 9 dark chocolate lindor truffles between the ours of 3:30 p.m and 6:30 p.m. Eastern time today. The vet told me to just watch her and take her to emergency vet if any symptoms happen. Please tell me what I can do preventatively in the meantime??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello againCustomer

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Actually I do not think there are any special measures you need take in this sort of situation, while dark semi-sweet chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

1. When you check out This Site you will find that an 11.9 oz bag of dark chocolate Lindor truffles contains 28 pieces, so the most dark chocolate your dog could have consumed would have been { 9/28 * 11.9 } = 3.82 ounces. { However this product is not 100% dark chocolate there are other ingredients so the amount of dark chocolate consumed would have been a quite a bit less }

2. Now the rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 22 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 6.6 ozs { nearly 1/2 a pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the subject of chocolate toxicity in dogs in more depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello againCustomer

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lindor truffles ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for your response. After about 8 hours of htperactivity and frequent urination, she then tore open a box of turtles that was on a table wrapped as a gift. Ugh. She seems to be fine now with occasional urination and soft poopies. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello againCustomer

Well it never rains but it pours I guess, however the good thing is that in my experience these sorts of incidents are rarely too serious but you may see more minor symptoms such as vomiting and/or diarrhoea for a day or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.