Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

This is ***** *****. Concerned about my 2 standard poodles

Customer Question

Customer: This is ***** *****. Concerned about my 2 standard poodles (about 65 lbs each) who ate a poppy seed pastry (a cake-like roll with filling) while I was out. The roll had a poppy seed filling (gooey) and was about 2-1/2 inches in diameter and about 5 inches long. Should I be worried?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: They both seem fine right now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Don't mind the fee, but how long is the wait? If I need to do something, I'd prefer to act quickly.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, the poppy seeds are not going to be toxic. But, the other ingredients in the cake (flour, sugar, oil, etc.) can cause them to develop things like: Vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. I would recommend you keep an eye on them for the next 24 hours. If they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!