David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My 7 month old corgi ate a wooden beard comb that was

Customer Question

My 7 month old corgi ate a wooden beard comb that was treated with a polyurethane coating (win max) he is now shaking and will not walk on his back legs. I am currently at a vet now but looking for all the help I can get. He had diarrhea in his crate with what looked like pieces of the comb.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry you are going through this with Loki...

According to the information I have from a veterinary toxicologist, the polyurethane coating may cause vomiting and/or diarrhea, but otherwise should be OK...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The comb was wood and he ate about half of it would something belong lodged cause him not to walk ?

The actual comb material may also cause vomiting and/or diarrhea. It's also possible that pieces of it may get stuck in the intestines, and surgery may need to be performed to remove the pieces. Sometimes, if the pieces of wood are small enough, they may pass on their own with time. Unfortunately, wood does not typically show up on X-rays, even if it's inside the digestive tract. If ultrasound can be done, it may do a better job of "seeing" the pieces of wood in the digestive tract...

If there is a piece (or pieces) of wood stuck in the intestines, the discomfort may be enough to cause him to not walk.

Another test that could be done is a barium series, which is where barium (a liquid substance that shows up bright white on X-rays) is given by mouth, and then a series of X-rays is taken to see if the barium outlines anything abnormal (pieces of wood, or a blockage).

Sometimes treatment in Loki's situation involve supportive care (fluids, medications to protect the intestines, and time). But, if it's found that he has a blockage, then surgery may be needed to remove the blockage.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions, or I can assist you and Loki further.

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?
David Janssen