David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My 6 month old papillon started limping almost 2 days now

Customer Question

Hello! My 6 month old papillon started limping almost 2 days now and he is holding his left paw up but he still walks around like nothing is wrong but refuses to put pressure on the left paw
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear this is going on with Cooper...

There are many possible reasons for the limping, including a broken toenail (some are VERY subtle, and can be up under the skin, making it difficult to find), soft tissue injury (sprain, strain, pulled muscle, bruise, etc.), or a dislocation or fracture. Some dogs will limp when they hurt, but will not show any other symptoms (i.e. whining, crying, etc.), even if the painful area is manipulated...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did cut his nails about a week ago and did get to close and he did start bleeding a little bit but that was it. Then I left for vacation and came home last night to see him limping

Thanks for that information. I doubt cutting the nails too short would cause limping at this time, especially since the nail trim was done a week ago (even if the you did cut too far back) - usually that will cause limping right away, but it goes away after 12-24 hours.

Since it's been going on for 2 days now, it would be best to have Cooper examined by a veterinarian, in order to see what the underlying problem is, and to get appropriate treatment, especially since the holiday is coming up, and most clinic are going to be closed for a couple days. It would be best to get Cooper treated now, as opposed to having to wait another few days.

If you are not able to get him examined, I would recommend restricting his activity for the next couple days. You can ice the affected leg (use an ice pack or ice cubes wrapped in a towel, and hold it on the leg for a few minutes at a time) - you can do this a few times a day - this may help with some pain and inflammation.

I would not recommend any human pain relievers, especially in such a small dog, because they can have some serious side effects. The only pain relievers I would recommend for Cooper are ones that are made specifically for dogs - they are more effective, and much safer.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you and Cooper further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will let you know the results when we bring him in!

Great! I'm glad to hear you are going to get Cooper looked at.

I hope everything goes well.

I hope you and Cooper have a very Merry Christmas!

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
David Janssen