Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Debby
, my dog just drank about 5 oz of chocolate

Customer Question

Customer: debby
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my dog just drank about 5 oz of chocolate almond milk. should i be concerned?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: she wt about 17 lbs and is 10 years old a dachshund
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now there tends to be very little chocolate in these types of products, so the risk here is low for your lass. The only issue we could see with this is stomach upset (appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea).Therefore, in this case, we'd just want to monitor her and start some supportive care. To start, you can put her onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Otherwise, if she shows and signs of nausea, you can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).

Overall, this is a low risk situation for your lass. So, we'd just use the above to keep her stomach settled after this little misadventure.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )