David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My name is ***** *****. I believe my dog ate moldy bread,

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. I believe my dog ate moldy bread, probably last night. Not sure what to do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is a 7 year old bichon. he seems a little warm, and he has been gassy (passing gas and burping). his stomach seems to be upset, occasional audible stomach rumbling. alittle shaky, but he kneee surgery about a month ago, weather is rainy here so he may be just sore.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry to hear that your boy is not acting like his normal self today.

Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he still interesting in eating and drinking today?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea. He drinks water and eats.He warm, panting, and a little shaky. Not on any medication now, occasional pain medication when needed.

Thanks for the additional information.

Since his stomach is rumbling, and he is gassy, I would try feeding him some bland food for the next couple days, such as boiled hamburger and rice, or cooked chicken and rice (about 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice). You can also give over the counter Pepcid AC (famotidine is the generic), which you can purchase at most stores that sell medications. I would give him a 10 mg tablet, and you can give this once every 24 hours to help settle his stomach (it's an antacid/antinausea medication which is quite safe in dogs). If his symptoms continue for more than 24-36 hours, I would recommend getting him examined by a veterinarian to see if there is more going on that needs more specific treatment, especially with the holiday coming up (and most clinics are closed for a couple days over the holiday weekend)...

Pain is also a possibility, but from your description (and without an exam), it sounds more like stomach upset. You can continue to give pain medications, as needed. But, if he develops vomiting, diarrhea, or won't eat, then I would not give pain medication, since some pain medications can cause further stomach upset (examples of these include Rimadyl (carprofen), Deramaxx, Previcox, Metacam (meloxicam)).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
David Janssen