David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

My dog a six years old mixed breed 30 pounds had a hacking

Customer Question

My dog a six years old mixed breed 30 pounds had a hacking going on Tuesday a couple of times. She didbitbyeseeday and her mealnpukes up. She did have the convulsive type puke just came up with the hack. It contained a lot of grass. She did this again kid afternoon. I withheld all food for approximately 12 hours. Gave her 1/4 cup of wet food. No problem. This morning gave her white rice, wet food and wee bit of yogurt and femotidine(antacid as recommended by vet previously for gastric upset). So far she has kept food down and isn't hacking but I am keeping her quiet and calm. Should I take to vet to be on safe side
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

What you did is perfect - withhold food for 12 hours, then start offering small amounts of food, rice, etc. The small amount of yogurt and the famotidine is also fine to do.

She may just have a simple stomach upset again (gastritis), but with the holiday coming up (and most clinics will be closed for a couple days), my best recommendation would be to have her examined before the holiday, to see if there is anything else that needs to be done to diagnose or treat her. I would rather play it safe and get her seen now, versus waiting, and then have a problem arise when clinics are closed.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I am thinking kennel cough as she was just boarded. She has had bortadella shot. But that's not always effective.

You're exactly right - the vaccine is very good, but not 100% effective (no vaccine is 100% effective, but they are close). Plus, there are less common causes of "kennel cough" - outside of what the vaccine protects against. The vaccine just protects against the most common infectious organisms that cause kennel cough. Yes, if she was just boarded, and now has these symptoms, kennel cough (tracheobronchitis) would be more likely, and she may need antibiotics, if your veterinarian feels that would be appropriate for her. Cough medication may also be prescribed, if it's needed for any bad coughing fits.

Please let me know if you have further questions, of if I can help further.

Dr. Dave

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
David Janssen