Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 year old male dachshund has been throwing up and having

Customer Question

My 8 year old male dachshund has been throwing up and having diarrhea since 9:00 tonight, he is also shivering . He has been fine all day. I suspect some different dogs treats may be the culprit. I had some Cecenia on hand and gave him 1 about a half hour ago. The diarrhea is not bloody and his vomit looks like undigested food. Should I take him to the emergency?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the Cerenia dispensed for him (otherwise can you tell me the milligrams of the tablet and his weight)?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

What does the diarrhea look like?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Cerenia is 16 mg, he weighs about 16 pounds. His diarrhea is very runny med brown. He just threw up again so I assume the medication also came out. He won't drink water. His gums are pink, somewhat sticky. The only different we gave him was a Happy Hip treat...they are new. He did have some chicken breast at dinner.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He let's me rub his tummy and doesn't seem overly tense if I push on it, it doesn't feel really hard either
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if he vomited after Cerenia was given 30 minutes ago, he likely has absorbed some of this. Therefore, we'd not want to give any more. And I would also note that we would need to give it some more time before we can assume it was or wasn't helping with his nausea.

With that in mind and in regards ***** ***** question, the key here to whether we have him rushed in is whether he is vomiting profusely and whether we can get that settled for him. If he keeps vomiting in the next 30 minutes or so (us giving the Cerenia an hour to make a difference), then we'd opt to have him seen. (As well, if we thought he had eaten something toxic, was weak or collapsed). In the meantime though, we can try to soothe that stomach.

To start, we will need to rest that stomach for a few hours. We want to withhold food and offer water in sips or as ice cubes. If he settles down, we could potentially give him an antacid on top of the Cerenia. Common OTC pet safe options that can be used with this are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down either, then we'd use that as a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he does settle with stomach rest and the above, then we can put him on small meals (a spoonful with 30 minute breaks to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since he hasn't had bloody stools and once we settle the vomiting, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing and the new treats are suspect. That said, we need to tread with care if he keeps vomiting. So, I would rest his stomach just now and monitor. Any more vomiting, we can have him seen. Otherwise, we can use the above. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will most likely take him to the vet in the morning. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to rush him there now. He was shivering, but that seems to have stopped. No skin tent present. How much famotidine can I give him? Should I give it to him in an hour or so
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
now he is shivering again and when I pick him up he tenses.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

The shivering is a non-specific sign we see with fever and when they just feel unwell. So, as long as he isn't continuously vomiting or collapsed, we can monitor until his regular vet is open. In regards ***** ***** Famotidine, I'd give it an hour before trying and he can have between 4-8mg every 12 hours.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr B. Are you still there? My dog (Charles ) has been dry heaving every 30 minutes or so, nothing comes up. His stool now is runny with some blood in it. Can I give him Imodium?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am. No Immodium, it is too potent to use in small dogs and the risk of sedation/adverse signs is too high. The Kaopectate I noted is the only OTC human anti-diarrheal we would use with upper and lower GI upset. Anyway, if he is continually heaving and/or if there is more than a spoonful of blood, then we are best to have him seen sooner.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's 3:30 a.m. here. Do you think he will be OK until 6 a.m.?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

How much blood was there?

Are his gums still pink?

How is he in himself?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
fairly moist
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, and the blood volume you saw in his stool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1/2 teaspoon, also mucous.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is quite, just stands in one place
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Good, I am glad to hear it was just a small amount. In that case, its more suggestive of gut irritation from the diarrhea as opposed to a hemorrhagic diarrhea. In that case, I'd keep an eye on him, the gum moisture as well (since those going dry/sticky is an early warning sign of dehydration), and as long as he can settle we can monitor for the next few hours with a view to a check once his vet is open. And just in regards ***** ***** last note there, its not suprising as he likely feels rubbish with this GI bug.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I really appreciate your help tonight, it's nice to know someone is there.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I can help you both since Charles sounds to have quite an upset GI. Just to note, I will be around (off/on over the next few hours, so I won't be too far away if needed). :)

Best wishes for your lad,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet