How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16235
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 1.75 oz of dark chocolate. she weighs 13 lobs is

Customer Question

My dog ate 1.75 oz of dark chocolate. she weighs 13 lobs is there a home rememdy?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Collene have this?

Was it dark chocolate for baking or regular dark chocolate?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but since this is a severe chocolate ingestion, I do want to leave my thoughts since you need to act fast here.

In regards ***** ***** adverse signs we can see with this level of chocolate ingestion we tend to see GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea) within 2-4 hours post ingestion. And in high doses like this, we can see irregular/fast heart rate, abnormal breathing, tremors and even seizures (which can appear up to 12-36 hours post chocolate intoxication).

Therefore, if she has just eaten them, I would advise inducing vomiting now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get into your dog. After giving this orally, move her abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. If you cannot do this or do not have peroxide on hand, then it would be worth considering having her seen now so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic). That way, the chocolate will be out and you will have the peace of mind that she won't be at risk of toxicity.

As well or alternatively (especially if you can't get her vomiting or its been >2 hours since she ate this), you can consider administering activated charcoal. This is available from the pharmacy and works to bind any remaining material in her stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or mixed with water to syringe in (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes) and could just limit the risk of this chocolate causing her trouble.

Finally, since any dose can cause GI signs, you may want to consider taking a few steps to settle her stomach for the next few days. To do so, you can consider covering her with a antacid for the next few days. There are a number on the market but the ones we tend to use in dogs are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). After you have given this (and allowed 20-30 minutes for this to take effect) and then consider offering small, frequent meals of light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food -- as long as its free from garlic or onion powder -- mixed with white rice) to keep her stomach settled while she gets over the GI effects of the chocolate.

Overall, this is a serious situation for your wee one. This is a dangerous and severe dose that she has had. Therefore, we need to act fast. If its been <2 hours, consider inducing vomiting and/or treating with activated charcoal to limit her risks. If you cannot for any reason, then she needs to see her vet urgently for apomorphine, IV fluids, and supportive care to get through this and avoid any harm.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Collene. How is everything going?
nekovet