Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 yrs old Pembroke Corgi had a minor stroke 3 wks ago - I

Customer Question

My 9 yrs old Pembroke Corgi had a minor stroke 3 wks ago - I say minor because by 2 wks, she was "back", ears up/eyes clear/no weakness and jumping on the couches.
She seems to have had another minor stroke in the last 24 hrs, not even as many symptoms as the last. She is still eating, drinking, peeping, pooping and not hiding.
We haven't taken her to our vet because we can't afford tests telling us why it happened. It doesn't matter, we will continue to make her comfortable. We aren't able to invest in chemotherapy, dialysis, expensive meds. We have had several dogs before who lived out their happy lives and then needed us to do our part to let them go.
My question. From home, with these seeming strokes...I've read that giving a very low dose of asprin, while beneficial for humans, can be detrimental to dogs if they have any kidney issues.
I don't know if Watermelon has kidney issues, wouldn't know unless we paid for catscans etc. I am assuming...is there anything we can do thin her blood or assist with symptoms without prescriptions and expensive tests to tell us what we already know basically?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I would note that Aspirin is the only over the counter blood thinner we use in pets. So, it would be an option (More Info/Dose) here. That said, you are correct that we do want to make sure her kidneys are healthy before using any medication of this nature. Where your not quite right is the need for a catscan. That would be required if we were looking for brain lesions triggering her stroke, but it wouldn't tell us anything about her kidneys. To determine if her kidneys are functioning properly, we'd need either a blood or urine sample. And I would note that since we are just trying to determine if we have a kidney issue, a urine sample (which you can submit to have the specific gravity checked on without even having her seen) would answer that question. It Is an inexpensive test and again you can just submit it for a check without bringing her in. So, that would be an option to answer that question and determine if this was safe to try with her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)