Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog came back from being kenneled and is constipated.

Customer Question

My dog came back from being kenneled and is constipated. Terrible gas but strains to poop. When she gets any out it is watery and small and soft.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your girl is sick tonight - I'll do my best to help.

When dogs get diarrhea, they often will have straining and pushing because they have a frequent urge to "go". The fact that you're seeing that watery and soft stool makes this more a diarrhea and colitis problem than a constipation problem.

Colitis isn't all that surprising after something like a kennel stay - it can be caused by stress, viral bacterial or parasitic infections, or changes in the diet. All of those are potential culprits in your situation. Sometimes it's a combination of multiple things.

Here's a little more info on colitis: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677

In general for diarrheas and colitis I have my clients feed a bland diet which consists of three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled chicken breast or boiled ground beef with the grease drained off for 5-7 days. If she's also vomiting or she's lethargic or acting ill otherwise, I'd call your veterinarian for further guidance. She may need to go out more frequently tonight to relieve herself - this is common with colitis.

Most healthy dogs will get over this on their own in a day or two, but some will do better with medication prescribed by the vet.

I hope that this helps - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)