Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I accidentally dropped my dogs Tramadol bottle and it spilt

Customer Question

I accidentally dropped my dogs Tramadol bottle and it spilt the remaining 5 pills, my dog lapped them up and swallowed them before I could get them, he weighs 70lbs and the tramadol was 50mg, will he be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The dose for tramadol will range on the low end at 1-4 mg/kg

If your dog weighs 70 pounds (32 kg) this would range from 32-128 mg but the high end used in dogs having orthopedic procedures can run up to 10 mg/kg or 320 mg

If your dog ingested 250 mg (5 pills x 50 mg) then this would be a dose of 7.8 mg/kg. Even though this is a moderate dose that will likely cause some sedation it will not be a toxic dose. He will rest well tonight and please make sure he is rousable overnight every few hours. If you are having difficulty getting him awake please consider a veterinary er but unless he is sensitive to the medications, and since he has been on tramadol for a little bit already, he should sleep a bit more soundly tonight and be fine by morning

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight...

I am checking in to see if Budapest did alright after you asked your question yesterday in regards ***** ***** tramadol? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Erin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Budapest. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman