Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog keeps licking, scratching and chewing. s back & top

Customer Question

Our dog keeps licking, scratching and chewing. His back & top part of tail are bald, his eyes are cut open from scratching & rubbing on the carpet.... We have tried changing his food to an all natural dog food and now I am making his food. I have been making his food for a week now and things do not seem to be getting better...they seem worse. I also give Fish Oil gel tab and Vitamin E gel tab twice a day with his meals. It seems as though he is just so used to scratching, chewing and licking that he knows no different. I have also tried benedryl which seems to knock him out all the time. We are considering putting him to sleep because we think he is suffering.........Is there anything else we can try or something we are missing?? Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 11 months ago.

He should go on an elimination diet. That means eating something he has never eaten before. Changing his diet without changing the ingredients doesn't work.

He might also be allergic to pollens, fleas, house dust mites, almost anything that you can be allergic to.

Because a food elimination diet is the easiest to do, that is what we do first. Check with your veterinary office. Ask for a food allergy diet that can be given in a food elimination diet. Give it for 8 weeks and see if his symptoms go away or get better. At the same time, you must ABSOLUTELY FEED NOTHING ELSE or the trial won't work and will be a waste of time.

Get everyone in the family to agree. No treats. No sneaking another pet's food. No table food. No peanut butter to help get medication. No chewable medication of any kind (including heartworm or flea prevention) if there is any meat protein added. You may need to give these medications in another form. Ask your veterinarian for recommendations.

No chew sticks, no rawhide bones. Nothing should go into his mouth besides the elimination diet food.

Your veterinarian will have choices for him to try. But remember you must feed the same food for 8 weeks. If he is getting worse, change to another food elimination diet and start another 8 weeks again.

You should really have an appointment with your vet. He can put your dog on medication to relieve the itching while you begin the food elinination diet.

Don't give up on him. Give him a chance to have a happy comfortable life.

Remember, there is no easy fix for allergy problems. They require a lot of

investigation and may need diets and/or medication for life.

But it is absolutely worth while to see a happy dog with health skin.

Please rate this service if you are pleased with the results.

You can always ask questions from me.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you,

Dr Marta

One other thing that you can do is giving him baths once or twice weekly with an oatmeal shampoo. This is soothing to his skin.