Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am dog sitting six year old and four old female

Customer Question

I am dog sitting for a six year old and four old female yorkies...mother and daughter. Their owner is in London.
Yesterday they had a fight and I had to separate them. Ever since the momma hasn't hardly ate anything and I noticed she hasn't barked at all today. She keeps making a hacking noise like she's getting sick. She is also real distance and skittish and usually a real lover. When she lays down and breathes it sound like she full of fluids. I can't get to a vet until tomorrow .is there anything I can do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She sounds like she's has a gurgle .her nose is very warm. I need answers now or cancel my request
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Shirley,

I sounds like the mother silky might have a tracheal (windpipe) injury. It is probably bruised or it may be punctured.

Give me her weight and I'll see if we can dose her with something you might have available. But remember you'll have to open her mouth and get her to swallow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When she lies down and sleeps would that sound like fluids rattling in her chest?
She weighs just shy of seven pounds.

Please send me your phone number

It is probably fluid in her trachea. To have fluid in her lungs would mean an injury like broken ribs or a crushing injury enough to bruise her lungs. I can't see her son doing that if he is a small silky.

I mean her daughter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just drank some water and I did hear her try to bark for the first time all day. She's resting a little now but still sounds a little raspy. I'm just concerned .

Of course you are concerned Shirley. But I think that she will continue to improve each day. There is probably some swelling present and it will go down. Her daughter must be a hellion to do that to her Momma.

Let me know how she is in the morning.

You'll sleep better tonight.

Dr Marta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just seen your message. She is sounding a little better but still not eating. I tried to give her a bite of a soft egg and she was very interested in it but puked it up. She still not eating muchand often chokes when trying to swallow but breathing better and sounding much better. Still no barking. I tried to call local vet but they are booked up until later next week. She will be leaving for Chicago Saturday so maybe will have to find a vet in Chicago. I am on a set income( disability) so I can't afford a lot right now but want her to get better.

Shirley, I'm glad to hear that she is better each day.

Try giving her some milk. A little every half hour or so. Make sure that it is room temp.

Talk to your vet and ask for some liquid antibiotics. Not pills which are hard to swallow. Since she can drink water, she can swallow liquid medication.

I'll email you tomorrow.

Helo Shirley.

Please let me know how she is doing. I hope that by now she is doing much better.

I wish you a Happy New Year!

Dr Marta

Hi Shirley,

i did not request a rating. But please do this because even though you already paid for the service, I will not get paid until you rate me.

Thank you,

Dr Marta

Good morning Shirley,

Please let me know how she is doing.

Dr Marta