Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 5 month old black russian terrier recently experienced a

Customer Question

My 5 month old black russian terrier recently experienced a week of diarrhea and did not eat. She was treated accordingly, but lost 5 lbs and should have gained 2-3 lbs that week. The next week she was fed chicken and rice cereal and ate just fine. Today was her 2nd, 3rd. BM and its hard with old dead round worms. I palpated her abdomen and noted what sounds like ascites. Is this due to the malnutrition? And will this subside over time?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Russian Terrier. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has she had a stool tested for worms and other parasites? You can see roundworm with the naked eye, but most parasites like whipworms, hook worms, Coccidia and Giardia are too small to see without a microscope.

If she does have ascites, I am concerned. If she is severely malnourished, or has a heavy burden of parasites that could cause ascites but so could liver and kidney and heart disease. She is young for any of these. If she were mine, I would start with a microscopic exam of a stool sample, check her blood albumin (low blood albumin can cause ascites), and listen to her heart.

It is not common, but sometimes dogs are born with lowered pancreatic function, called EPI. This could cause persistent diarrhea as well as ascites.

Is she eating? Are her gums a normal pink color? Any vomiting at all?

Let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?