Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 3 year old german shepherd has lost s appetite and wont

Customer Question

my 3 year old german shepherd has lost his appetite and wont eat his dry food or wet food it's been like this for about 4 days since we had hot weather of 40 celcius for two days he will lick his lips when he approaches the food but just sniffs at it and then walks away, he is drinking water and milk with an egg in it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your shepherd hasn't been feeling well - I'll do my best to help.

That lip licking that you're seeing is indicative of nausea. Dogs will usually lick their lips when they are nauseous. I'm glad to hear that he's still drinking water and getting some calories with the milk and egg, but as you already know, he really does need more calories. If this had only been going on for a day, I wouldn't be too concerned, but to go without eating for four days is definitely worthy of a visit to the vet. I know it's been hot but that doesn't explain the severity of the symptoms that you're seeing. The potential causes can vary widely, since nausea and anorexia (not eating) are very very vague symptoms. They can be caused by infections, dietary indiscretions, foreign bodies, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney or liver disease, cancer, and toxins among many other things.

I wish that I could be more helpful, but without being able to examine him myself, I just can't narrow down what could be going on. I also wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to wait it out since it's already been going on for a few days.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara