Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My elderly female dog approximately 12 0r 13 years of age

Customer Question

My elderly female dog approximately 12 0r 13 years of age and blind in one eye seems to have attacks of pain or discomfort at night time (when I'm trying to sleep). I get up and give her 1/4 tramadol and massage till the shaking/anxiety pain declines and she goes to sleep. This process can take up to an hour and I have had to repeat it a couple of times.
The next morning she gets up bright eyed and ready for another day. What is going on here?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Suzi. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How much does she weigh? 1/4 of a tramadol would help if she is 10 to 15 pounds. If she is bigger, she could take a larger dose. That might help her sleep through the night without having one of these episodes. At her age, she may very well have arthritis, which wakes her at night (my arthritis does this to me).

Tramadol is good for pain, but does not reduce the inflammation of arthritis. Is she taking any other supplements, or medications, apart from the tramadol?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?