Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has been taking torbutrol (believed to be allergies).

Customer Question

My dog has been taking torbutrol for cough (believed to be allergies). He's had a chest X-ray; everything looks fine. But now my vet doesn't have it anymore, and it was sooooo expensive, like $6 a pill I think. Any alternatives?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Kody. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you want to try an over the counter cough medication, you can try Robitussin DM or another over the counter medication with DM (dextromethorphan) but NOT any pseudoephedrine. I would give an Aussie about 1/4th to 1/2 of the labeled dose for a person.

A better cough medication, but by prescription, would be hydrocodone. Unfortunately it is no longer available as just hydrocodone, but comes combined with either homeatropine or acetaminophen (Tylenol). We don't recommend long term use of acetaminophen in dogs, it can affect the liver, so I would use the one with the homatropine but you will need a prescription from your veterinarian to get it.

If it is allergies, have you tried antihistamines? You could give a 50 pound dog 50 mg of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 2 to 3 times daily, or 5 to 10 mg of Claritin (loratidine) once daily.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you are able to see my answer! Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kody. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Kody doing? Let me know if this was helpful and if you have any other questions.