Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can my dog develop psoriasis from scales from me

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has a rough scale in several spots on her back. I've been considering using my cream on her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, Paisley cannot catch psoriasis from you. It is an auto immune condition that dogs do not have and we cannot spread to them. Instead, we are more likely to see scaling spots on dogs related to ringworm, bacterial pyoderma, seborrhoea, or if they have local irritation of the skin.

With these in mind, I would note that we'd want to avoid using your cream. Many of our products can be harmful to dogs, especially as they tend to lick them. The only human intended cream one would consider here would be OTC hydrocortisone if it were itchy for her. Though of course we don't want her licking that either (since it can cause increased thirst/urination if she ingested enough of it).

That said, we can try supplementing her skin with essential fatty acids (EFAs). Some people will apply coconut oil to lesions to do so, but we can also feed fish oil (Omega 3 & 6; which we'd usually give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight) or even offer a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. In either case, fish oils will help the skin and also have an anti-inflammatory effect that can soothe that irritated patch. Or if she isn't keen about fish, you can use an OTC EFA supplement like Viacutin or Yumega.

Overall, if she just has a dry scaly patch of skin, we can try the above. Though if you think there is any chance she may have ringworm, we'd of course want a check with her vet as further anti-fungal treatment may be needed. But in all causes, this won't be related to your psoriasis.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)