How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11099
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my dog has eaten one or two poinsettias seeds, are they

Customer Question

If my dog has eaten one or two poinsettias seeds, are they toxic to him?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the Pet Poison Hotline:

Level of toxicity: Mild

Common signs to watch for:

  • Drooling
  • Licking lips
  • Dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness)
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

During the holidays, Poinsettias are a popular Christmas plant. Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) plants are only mildly toxic to cats and dogs. The milky white sap found in poinsettias contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents. While poinsettias are commonly “hyped” as poisonous plants, they rarely are, and the poisoning is greatly exaggerated. When ingested, mild signs of vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen. If the milky sap is exposed to skin, dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness) may develop. Rarely, eye exposure can result in a mild conjunctivitis (“pink eye” secondary to inflammation). Signs are self-limiting and generally don’t require medical treatment unless severe. There is no antidote for poinsettia poisoning. That said, due to the low level of toxicity seen with poinsettia ingestion, medical treatment is rarely necessary unless clinical signs are severe.

Poison type: Plants

Alternate names: Euphorbia, Christmas, sap, milky sap, poinsetta, ponseitta

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Tonight I would advise:
- Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days
- Bland diet for 3 days of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

And hopefully the seeds will pass without incident but if there is any gi upset that is not subsiding within 48 hours please consider contact your veterinarian. Hopefully there will be absolutely no issues but best to know what to monitor for and when it is time to seek assistance.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sochi. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman