Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I found chocolate in the yard he brought in

Customer Question

i found chocolate in the yard he brought in
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jeff,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. So Rebel may have swallowed chocolate? Any idea how much chocolate was involved? And was it dark or milk chocolate { One is more toxic than the other }

2. How long ago might this have happened and how much does your dog weigh { In pounds} ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
32 lbs not sure it was med brown chocolate could have just retrieved it and brought it in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well

Just typing out your reply now, please give me a few more minutes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope

My reply is fairly long, do you want me to continue ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting

Hello again Jeff

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Since we are not sure if very much chocolate has been consumed it is probably safe just to monitor a larger dog like Rebel for present. While it is true that chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot before you before you would see serious signs of toxicity. Let me elaborate :

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 32 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 22 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

2. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

3. Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the topic of chocolate toxicity in the dog in more depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jeff,

I am just checking back in to see how Rebel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.